Because of being part of the Girls’ Brigade family, girls have shared that they feel confident, courageous, loved and accepted. Launched on UN’s International Day of the Girl on Tuesday 11 October 2016, the #iamgb (I am Girls’ Brigade) video harnesses the transformational impact of Girls’ Brigade across the world. You can also view it here [www.gbworldwide.org].
Girls’ Brigade International President Vivienne Aitchison from England shares: ‘Because of being part of the Girls’ Brigade family, girls and leaders in Asia, Africa, Caribbean, Europe and Pacific have shared that they feel confident, courageous, loved and accepted.
‘Girls around the world say that, because of GB, they experience opportunities to discover what it means to live life to the full! In a world where it can be difficult to be a girl, this is a positive and hope-filled message for GB to share on International Day of the Girl. We are thankful for all of our leaders who are investing in girls and impacting their lives and for God’s faithfulness to us.’
The #iamgb initiative gathered incredible stories of transformation from girls across the world – too many to include in one video. It aims to inspire girls, encourage GB leaders and demonstrate the value of Girls’ Brigade’s ministry.
Stories of transformation
Bailey (16) from GB New Zealand shares: ‘Because of GB, I feel both accepted and loved. I have been going to GB since I was 7 and grown up with most of the girls and leaders. Words can’t explain the feeling I get when the girls want to see me and hug me and share their week stories.’
GB is a safe place for girls to feel a sense of belonging and have fun as Wong Nok Ching (7) from GB Hong Kong explains: ‘Because of GB, I am happy.’ Leila-May (8) from Girls’ Brigade England & Wales also shares: ‘Because of GB, I have made lots of new friends.’
Girls are also encountering Jesus in new ways through local GB groups. ‘GB has made me into a new person and taught me more about God. I feel confident to tell people about God and what He through the Girls’ Brigade has done for me’ says Samantha from GB Jamaica.
In a world where girls are facing increasing levels of low self-esteem, Girls’ Brigade is helping girls discover confidence to overcome obstacles in cultures where being born a girl can be difficult. Lisah from GB Papua New Guinea shares: ‘Before joining GB, I was a shy girl. Through GB, I’ve learned a lot of things and one of them is how to be confident.’ Chioma, a younger GB leader from Nigeria (where the Chibok girls, 6 of whom are GB members, remain missing), adds: ‘Because of GB, I am empowered, courageous and transformed.’
Share it on your social media
If you’re on facebook and twitter, help Girls’ Brigade spread a positive and hope-filled message for girls (particularly on International Day of the Girl) by:
- Sharing the video (upload it, share GB Worldwide’s facebook post (facebook.com/girlsbrigadeworldwide) or link to the GB International website www.gbworldwide.org)
- Adding your #iamgb story – complete the sentence: ‘Because of GB, I am…’
- Remember to include the hashtag #iamgb at the end of your post
How can I use it?
No matter what time of the year it is, the #iamgb video can be used to share the transformational impact of Girls’ Brigade across the world. Here’s SIX ideas for you:
- In your GB: Show it to your GB group either as an opening/closing devotion (ask them to share their #iamgb story too) or as part of an international badge work session.
- Church family: Share it with your church family during an enrolment and/or parade service. Celebrate the stories of how God is moving in the lives of girls across the world.
- Parents: Encourage parents to see that their daughter is part of a global family by showing it at a display or parents’ evening.
- Leaders: If you’re facilitating a leadership training event, inspire your leaders by reminding them that they are part of a movement which is investing in girls and transforming lives. Leaders are a vital part of this story.
- Fundraising: If you’re hosting a fundraising event, the #iamgb video is great a tool to inspire others to invest in your local work as it demonstrates GB’s transformational impact.
- Publicity: Share it on your national TV stations or spread it on your social network and let’s turn up the volume of hope for girls.
The #iamgb video demonstrates that God is using GB leaders across the world to transform girls’ lives – thank you. Over the last 123 years, God has been faithful to the mission and ministry of The Girls’ Brigade – we give Him all the glory for the great things He is doing!